Aaron Alexis, Washington Gunner Was Hearing Voices Before Tragedy


Aaron alexisAaron Alexis, the Washington mass killer had been hearing voices prior to his letting loose on Monday, according to reports.

He is now believed to have been the only shooter behind Mondays Navy Yard massacre.

Reports claimed that the former Naval reservist suffered from serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder, and had been hearing voices in his head, sources informed the AP. Alexis also suffered from PTSD, his father told investigators, according to theNew York Times. It has been claimed that he had been disturbed by the after effect of  9/11 attacks wreckage clearance. His father explained: “He was an “active participant” in rescue efforts in New York”.

He was reported to have been  getting treatment for these issues from the Veterans administration, but the Navy hadn’t declared him mentally unfit. Had it done so, he’d have lost his security clearance.

Reports also claimed that Alexis was kicked out of the Navy Reserve for a “pattern of misbehavior,” one Navy official ex[lained to Washington Post. He was given a “general discharge,” which is seen as a mere reprimand.

He had  lived for a time in a bungalow in the woods near a Buddhist temple in Fort Worth, where he occasionally joined Thai immigrants in meditation.

Aaron Alexis died Monday in a gun battle with police at the Washington Navy Yard after he allegedly killed at least 12 people.

Along the way, the man named as the shooter in Monday’s mass killing at Building 197 was discharged from the Navy Reserve, arrested after firing a bullet through his upstairs neighbor’s floor and then asked to leave his Fort Worth apartment.

One Navy official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that Alexis was discharged in January 2011 for “a pattern of misconduct” and that the 2010 gun incident in Texas played a role in his departure.

But Alexis, 34, had no trouble landing a civilian job. He moved from Fort Worth to Washington about a month ago, friends said, and was hired as an hourly tech employee for The Experts, a Hewlett-Packard subcontractor that is updating computer systems at Navy and Marine Corps installations worldwide. He was scheduled to begin work at the Washington Navy Yard this month.

Those who knew Alexis in recent years describe him as a “sweet and intelligent guy” (a regular customer at the Thai restaurant where he had been a waiter) and “a good boy” (his landlord), but also as “very aggressive,” someone who seemed as though he might one day kill himself (a lay worker at the Buddhist temple where Alexis worshiped).

That angry streak flared often enough to create an arrest record in three states.

Washington-shootingIn 2004, Alexis was arrested in Seattle after he fired three shots from a Glock pistol into the tires of a Honda Accord that two construction workers had parked in a driveway adjacent to Alexis’s house. Alexis’s father told detectives then that his son “had experienced anger management problems that the family believed was associated with PTSD,” or post-traumatic stress disorder, according to the police report. The father said Alexis had been “an active participant in rescue attempts of Sept. 11, 2001.”

Alexis’s explanation for his behavior that day: The construction workers had “mocked” and “disrespected” him and then he had “a black-out fueled by anger.”

He was arrested but not charged, Seattle police said. The paperwork apparently was lost.

“That report never got to the Seattle city attorney’s office,” said Kimberly Mills, a spokeswoman for the city attorney. “Consequently, we never filed charges.”

In 2008, Alexis was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge in DeKalb County, Ga. He spent two nights in jail, police said, but they had no other details.

More recently, Alexis struck those who crossed his path as a man of sharp contrasts. He was learning the Thai language, visited Thailand for a month, was studying for an online degree in aeronautical engineering, and enjoyed conversing with diners, according to friends, customers and fellow worshipers. But some said he had an aggressive streak that made them keep their distance and avoid personal questions.

“He’s a 13-year-old stuck in a 34-year-old body,” said Oui Suthamtewakul, owner of the Happy Bowl Thai restaurant in White Settlement, Tex., and a friend who lived with Alexis for most of the past three years. “He needs attention.”