South Africa’s striking mine workers are insisting on continuing their seizure from duties despite threat of a mass dismisal which had been communicated to them through text messages. Almost 50 workers were shot dead about a month ago as the Anglo-American company sent in police to tackle them after it was said the strike was turning more violent.
The killing had recorded one of the most weird company and workers scenario with a court judge questioning the morality behind arraignment of hundreds of workers in court charged for murder when the real murderers, the police should have been charged.
Also on Friday, the dead bodies are still counting with one man picked up from a remote area of a strike where police had further resisted protests. The body was found near the Anglo American mine, located in North West province, according to a strike leader.
As the announcement for the mass sack went through to the workers, they are insistent that the strike would go on undeterred .On Friday, officials at the Anglo American Platinum mine in South Africa announced that they have dismissed 12,000 out of 21,000 striking miners they say are engaging in an “illegal strike”.
The world’s largest platinum producer said on Friday the 12,000 dismissed workers failed to turn up during a disciplinary hearings which began on Tuesday.
The sacked miners will have only three working days to appeal.
Anglo American had been threatening the strikers with dismissal for a week now via text messages to its workers.
The sackings were the first such actions by all of the mines where illegal strikes have taken place.
The announcement came on a day the body of a mine worker was found near the Anglo American mine, located in North West province, according to a strike leader.
Gaddafi Mdoda, one of the miners taking part in the three-week-long strike, said the body belonged to another striker who had died from rubber-coated bullets shot to disperse the protesters on Thursday night.
Neither police nor mine owners have commented on the claim.
Al Jazeera’s Tania Page, reporting from Rustenberg on Friday, said the miners she spoke to reiterated that the sackings would not deter their protests.
“They were so determined to get this money that they were never going to back down from a big pay raise,” she said.
The striking miners are seeking a raise from what they say is a salary of $500 per month to $2,000.
The demonstrations have now spread to seven of the nation’s nine provinces.
Over 75,000 South African miners workers, who amount for 15 per cent of the nation’s work force, are on strike.
The walkouts began four weeks ago when 15,000 miners walked off the job at the world’s fourth largest gold producer, Gold Fields.
On August 16, police shot and killed 46 platinum miners in Marikana, near Rustenburg.
The strikes then spread to coal, diamond, chrome and iron mines.
For two weeks now, 20,000 lorry drivers have also gone on strike, leaving several petrol stations without fuel and automated teller machines without cash.
The drivers have called on their colleagues in South Africa’s ports to join in their protest starting next week.