The death toll in Monday night’s bomb attack in Kano, in the northern part of Nigeria has risen to over 60, indicating the extent of the carnage inflicted by the terrorists.
The explosions had occurred on Monday evening at New Road, Sabon Gari area of the city close to a popular and busy commercial luxury bus park.
The part is a concentration venue for intercity bound passengers opting to travel out of the city. It is the bridge spot between Northern and Southern Nigeria where buses and passengers traveling to the south link particularly those traveling to the southern states. On Monday night,a Reuters reporter said he counted 25 corpses in the dark of the night just as the blasts occurred.
As at Tuesday morning, over 60 dead bodies had been counted. Many more dozens were injured as they were heading towards their homes. Several other casualties have also been evacuated to other hospitals across the town for emergency treatment.
Eye witness account said the blast affected both passengers in the bus as they exited the park to embark on their journey in the bus and many more within the vicinity going about their activities.
The blast caused a stampede with many people getting hurt and cars crashing.
There were different accounts of the explosion. While some sources said the explosion emanated from a car parked beside the bus, others claim it was from within the bus.
Kano state reported that 60 people were killed and dozens were injured.
President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday evening condemned in strong terms the bomb blasts describing it as an act of barbarism.
He said the terrorists actions would not deter the Federal Government from its focus on strong-willed determination counter terrorist attack on the nation and the willingness to weed out those who do not mean well for the nation.
He said the Federal Government will not be stampeded, for any reason whatsoever, into abandoning its unrelenting war against terrorists and terrrism in the country.
President Jonathan reassured Nigerians and foreigners in the country that the Nigerian Government will continue to do all that is required to ensure the safety of lives and property, including continued collaboration with local and international partners and stakeholders to check the menace of terrorism.
President Jonathan commiserated with the victims of the Kano explosions, their families and friends, and assured the Kano State government of the Federal Government’s continued support.
A member of Igbo traditional council in Kano, Tobias Idika, who confirmed the explosion said there were over 200 people both in the bus and in the vicinity.
“IED was kept inside the luxurious bus which was about to leave Kano to Lagos, people were frying like
According to Mr Idika “IED was kept inside the luxurious bus which was about to leave Kano to Lagos, people were frying like chicken here and you know there are over two hundred people in this bus when the two IEDs”
The area has now been cordoned off by Military and Policemen. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet.
Another eyewitness also confirmed that dozens of people were injured but could not count the number of dead persons.
At the moment, no one can confirm the status of casualties in this attack as effort to contact the police or JTF was not successful as at the time of compiling this report, however residents say the area was combed by JTF.
The spokesperson of the Police in Kano, Magaji Majiya, confirmed the incident. He however, said he has not gotten the full details.