British journalist dies of mortal attack in Libya

    0
    230

    Tim Hetherington
    A British photographer has been killed while covering the conflict in the besieged Libyan city of Misrata.

    Liverpool-born Tim Hetherington, who had dual UK and US nationality, is said to have died in a mortar attack.

    The 41-year-old, who co-directed the Oscar-nominated documentary Restrepo, about US troops in Afghanistan, was working for Vanity Fair magazine.

    Mr Hetherington’s family said he would be “forever missed” and remembered for his “amazing photographs”.

    In a statement on the magazine’s website they said: “It is with great sadness we learned that our son and brother, photographer and filmmaker, Tim Hetherington was killed…

    “Tim will be remembered for his amazing images and his Academy Award-nominated documentary Restrepo.”

    They added: “Tim was in Libya to continue his ongoing multimedia project to highlight humanitarian issues during time of war and conflict.”

    Vanity Fair magazine said Mr Hetherington was “widely respected by his peers for his bravery and camaraderie”.

    In a recent entry on Twitter, Mr Hetherington described “indiscriminate shelling” by pro-Gaddafi forces.
    Two other journalists are said to have been injured in the attack. Doctors in Misrata have told the BBC that one of them is another another British journalist.
    They earlier said a second journalist had been killed but this has not been confirmed.
    The journalists were among a group who became caught up in mortar fire on Tripoli Street, the main road leading into the centre of Misrata.
    Libyan government forces have battled rebels in the city since late February and an estimated 300 civilians have died.
    The city’s hospital said six people had been killed and 60 injured so far on Wednesday.
    Meanwhile, the UN has said the reported use of cluster munitions by Col Gaddafi’s forces in Misrata “could amount to international crimes”.
    It comes as France and Italy said they would send small teams of military officers to advise Libyan rebels following a similar commitment by the UK.
    The Foreign Office confirmed Mr Hetherington’s death and said it was offering consular assistance to Mr Hetherington’s family.
    Mr Hetherington studied Literature at Oxford University and is reported to have recently married.
    The New York-based journalist was best known for his work in Afghanistan, and the film Restrepo followed US troops on an outpost in the country. He won the World Press Photo of the Year Award in 2007.
    The US-based Committee for the Protection of Journalists said two other journalists had been killed in the Libyan conflict which was “proving to be an extremely dangerous story”.
    Its director Robert Mahoney said: “We’re shocked and saddened by word that our colleague Tim Hetherington has died, and we extend our deepest condolences to his family and colleagues.”
    Mr Hetherington’s friend Peter Bouckaert, from the campaign group Human Rights Watch, said he had a “tremendous reputation and a giant heart”.
    He told BBC News: “It really is a very tragic death for a giant in the field of war photography.”
    Publicity agent Cathy Saypol, who represented Mr Hetherington in the past, told Vanity Fair’s website: “We are saddened beyond words that our friend, photographer and film-maker, Tim Hetherington, was killed in Misrata this morning.”
    Meanwhile, tributes have started to appear on his Facebook page.
    One from film director Jean Manuel said: “Tim Hetherington, I love you. Thank you for everything. I will help make sure our work continues.”

    Source: BBC