The North London teenager who was attacked with a knife on Tuesday afternoon inside a bus has died in the hospital losing his fight for life.
Police said that the teenager only turned 16 years on the day he was attacked and was on celebration mood just as he was stabbed on the 393 bus in Highbury New Park at about 3.20pm next to Highbury Grove School in North London.
A 15-year-old suspect is being held by police officers after he was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder on Tuesday night.
Several onlookers watched as paramedics and police give the teenager CPR on the single-decker which had just driven past Highbury Grove School close to Finsbury Park in North London .
An eye witness claimed he saw a young male running past her home in the opposite direction to which the bus was travelling on Highbury New Park.
Police have appealed for more witnesses of the attack, which is thought came following an altercation between the two and may be with more teenagers involved.
Report said the attacked teenager lost his fight for life on Wednesday night.
Reports have been mixed as to whether the victim attended the nearby Highbury Grove School, but sources now say he was a former pupil, although little is known yet about the teenagers life as it is not known whether he no longer attends the nearby school.
Police scoured the nearby Spring Gardens estate in case a knife had been dumped soon after the incident at 3pm.
Onlookers also described seeing blood pouring from a stretcher which was used to carry the victim from the bus to the nearby air ambulance which landed in the school grounds and airlifted him to hospital.
Lisa Mitchell-Smith, who lives on a ground floor flat of the estate, described seeing a hooded man running down an alleyway which passes her kitchen window.
She said: “I saw a black guy run past the kitchen. I saw him zoom past just before I went and saw that most people were still on the bus. He was wearing a hoody which was pulled up.
“They got the boy to the ambulance by stretcher and there was about six policemen covering him with sheets but you could see blood dripping everywhere beneath onto the street.”
Another witness on the estate, who wished not to be named, but whose flat overlooks where the bus stopped, said police told him the victim had a “1 per cent chance of surviving. Joseph Smith, who also lives on the estate, said: “All I saw was someone reviving somebody in the bus, giving them CPR for about 30 minutes, pumping up and down on their chest.
“They were working on him for ages. I was thinking maybe he died the way they were working on him. It looked like he was losing his fight.
“Police were giving him the CPR waiting for paramedics. It was shocking, just shocking.”
Raffaele Buttice, another resident, said: “I could just see three people on the floor of the bus doing heart resuscitations with CPR.