Warner, the longest-serving member of Fifa’s executive committee, had been suspended pending the outcome of a bribery inquiry, claiming that people within the organisation “sought to undermine me in ways that are unimaginable”.
Fifa said the ethics committee procedures against him “have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained”.
Warner had been suspended last month pending an investigation into allegations made by the executive committee member Chuck Blazer, who worked as Concacaf’s general secretary under Warner for two decades, that he and the Fifa presidential challenger Mohamed bin Hammam had offered financial incentives to members of the Caribbean Football Union.
“I have lost my enthusiasm to continue,” Warner told Bloomberg. “The general secretary that I had employed, who worked with me for 21 years, with the assistance of elements of Fifa has sought to undermine me in ways that are unimaginable.” Blazer did not respond to a voicemail seeking comment.
In a previous interview he said it was his duty to report wrongdoing.
World football’s governing body released a statement on Monday which read: “Jack A Warner has informed Fifa about his resignation from his posts in international football. Fifa regrets the turn of events that have led to Mr Warner’s decision.
“His resignation has been accepted by world football’s governing body, and his contribution to international football and to Caribbean football in particular and the Concacaf confederation are appreciated and acknowledged.
“Mr Warner is leaving Fifa by his own volition after nearly 30 years of service, having chosen to focus on his important work on behalf of the people and government of Trinidad & Tobago as a cabinet minister and as the chairman of the United National Congress, the major party in his country’s coalition government.
“The Fifa executive committee, the Fifa president and the Fifa management thank Mr Warner for his services to Caribbean, Concacaf and international football over his many years devoted to football at both regional and international level, and wish him well for the future.
“As a consequence of Mr Warner’s self-determined resignation, all ethics committee procedures against him have been closed and the presumption of innocence is maintained.”
Warner said: “This is giving the impression that Fifa is sanitising itself. I’ve been hung out to dry continually and I’m not prepared to take that.”
Warner and fellow Fifa member Bin Hammam were suspended last month after they were accused of giving or offering bribes of $40,000 (£24,500) to the 25 members of the CFU. The total sum involved was £1m according to a report to the Fifa ethics committee.
Affidavits sent to the ethics committee testify that Warner told the CFU members at the special meeting in Trinidad on 10 and 11 May that the cash had been provided by Bin Hammam, who was then running for the Fifa presidency.
The Bahamas FA vice-president Fred Lunn said he had been given the cash in a brown envelope which he photographed before returning. Lunn said in his affidavit that the following day “Mr Warner stated that he had instructed Mr Bin Hammam to bring the cash equivalent of any gift he had intended to bring for the people attending this meeting. Mr Warner then stated that the money could be used for any purpose … for grassroots programmes or any purpose the individuals saw fit.”
The president of the Surinam FA, Louis Giskus, also confirmed earlier this month that he was given $40,000 in a brown envelope as a gift. A number of other associations have told investigators that they too were given the cash. Some kept it, others returned the money.
“It’s not unusual for such things to happen and gifts have been around throughout the history of Fifa,” Warner said. “What’s happening now for me is hypocrisy.”
A source close to Warner said he had taken the decision “for the good of the game” but refused to comment when asked if the 68-year-old had jumped before he was pushed.
Warner later issued a statement that said: “This decision is by my own volition and self-determination; albeit it comes during the sequel to the contentious Mohamed bin Hammam meeting in Port of Spain in May with CFU Delegates.
“I am convinced, and I am advised by counsel, that since my actions did not extend beyond facilitating the meeting that gave Mr Bin Hammam an opportunity to pursue his aborted bid for the Fifa presidency, I would be fully exonerated by any objective arbiter.
“I have, nonetheless, arrived at the decision to withdraw from Fifa affairs in order to spare Fifa, Concacaf and, in particular, CFU and its membership, from further acrimony and divisiveness arising from this and related issues.”