Nigeria Senate To Screen 37 Prospective Cabinet Members-The second batch of President Muhammadu Buhari’s Ministerial nominee that will form the President’s members of the Cabinet has now been submitted to the National Assembly, according to sources from Abuja. This brings the total nominee of Buhari’s government cabinet members to 37.
Another list of 16 prospective members were submitted on Monday, conveyed by President Buhari’s Chief of Staff , Alhaji Abba Kyari who was accompanied by Presidential assistant on National Assembly Affairs, Senator Ita Enang. Unlike the first batch of 21 which had the identity of the nominees revealed almost on arrival by curious Media, the second batch is being kept secret, creating more speculation that the government is jittery about the reaction of members of the public.
The last list of nominees, which included the name of former governor of River State Rotimi Amaechi and Governor Raji Fashola of Lagos State created some ripples as River state activists are alleging that the corruption record of Amaechi could be making him an unqualified candidate in the current political dispensation and that he needed to be investigated and accountable for mismanagement as the governor of the state.
As the report is being sent, it has been revealed that the name of the former Governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola and Chairman of the National Hajj Commission, Barrister Muhammed Bello of Adamawa State are included in the list.
The list which had already been revealed by Vanguard Newspapers are liked to create another ripple as many of the names are laced in political compensation and rather than the anticipated justice and fairplay to the younger generation and also at the expense of loyalty, just and patriotic service to the motherland. The screening exercise and confirmation of the nominees are expected to commence today Tuesday October 13 and may last for three days.
Sources confirmed that serious lobby had commenced in the House as interest groups are already in action conversing for the all the lists to be confirmed as the cabinet members duty posts for long had suffered inaction.
Sources from Abuja claimed that already, the Nigeria Senate has been filled to the brims as only 10 nominees are expected to be screened. They include Udoma Udoma, Kayode Fayemi, Audu Ogbeh, Ogbonaya Onu, Osaghie Ehanire, Abdulrahman Dambazzau. Others are Lai Mohammed, Amina Mohammed, Suleiman Adams, Ibrahim Jibril.
Other nominees will be screened on Wednesday and Thursday respectively.
The 16 new names as revealed in the media are as follows:
- Chairman of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, Barr Mohammed Bello (Adamawa)
- Former Governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola (Osun)
- Former Chairman of the National Population Commission (NPC), Chief Festus Odimegwu (Imo)
- Former National President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN (Ondo)
- Former spokesman of the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP), Osita Okechukwu (Enugu)
- Former ANPP governorship candidate in Abia, Ikechi Emenike (Abia).
- Hadiza Abdullahi
- Adamu Adamu (Bauchi)
- Hajia Bukar Ibrahim, the former first lady of Yobe State (Yobe)
- Senator Heineken Lokpobiri (Bayelsa)
- James Ocholi, SAN (Kogi)
- Anthony Anwuka, a professor of education administration, who was secretary to the government of Imo state
- Isaac Adewole, a professor of obstetrics and gynaecology
- Dan Ali, a brigadier-general who was retired in 2013
- Okechukwu Enelamah, the CEO of African Capital Alliance
- Claudius Omoyele Daramola, a professor of sociology of education, from Ondo state
- Aisha Abubakar.