Norway Massacre: Accused says no regrets as he sets to salvage Europe from Islamism


Anders Behring Breivik’s father Jens David Breivik said he was disgusted and distraught by his son’s ruthless killing of more than 76 people and that he wished the gunman had committed suicide.

“I don’t feel like his father,” Mr Breivik told Sweden’s Expressen newspaper.

“How could he just stand there and kill so many innocent people and just seem to think that what he did was OK? He should have taken his own life too. That’s what he should have done.”

The former Norwegian diplomat, believed to be in his 70s, spoke from his secluded home in Cournanel, southern France where he is being protected by police from potential revenge violence after his son’s Oslo bombing and Utoya island shooting massacre – one of the world’s worst mass murders – on Saturday
He said he first became aware of his son’s attacks from online news sites.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was totally paralyzing and I couldn’t really understand it,” he said.

“I will have to live with this shame for the rest of my life. People will always link me with him.”

Mr Breivik remarried after splitting with the suspect’s mother when his son was one but severed contact with his son in 1995, when the son was 16.

“I still have contact with Tove until this day but have not spoken to my father since he isolated himself when I was 15 (he wasn’t very happy about my graffiti phase from 13-16:),” Behring Breivik wrote on his rambling manifesto posted online just before he embarked on his deadly spree.

Behring Breivik’s mother, Wenche Behring, is a nurse who lives in Oslo and has not asked for police protection, authorities said.

Anders Bhering-Breiivik

Behring Breivik admitted to bombing the capital and opening fire on a youth group retreat on the island resort and was yesterday ordered to spend eight weeks in jail, including four weeks of solitary confinement, before he tried.

He pleaded not guilty but told authorities he expected to spend the rest of his life in prison as a necessary sacrifice in order to save Europe from “Muslim domination”.

Behring Breivik also indicated to the court that he had worked with other accomplices.

However police have privately said they believe he acted alone.

“We feel that the accused has fairly low credibility when it comes to this claim but none of us dare to be completely dismissive about it either,” a police source close to the investigation told Reuters.

Police are yet to release a roll call of the 76 dead, but unconfirmed identities have emerged.

Among those believed to have been killed in the Utoya massacre was Hanne Kristine Fridtun, 19.

The last anyone heard from her was when she posted a comment on the Internet using her phone during the shooting just before she set out to swim across the lake to escape the shooting.

“We are 20 people hiding at the waters’ edge,” she wrote. “We are talking quietly so as not to be heard.”

Also among the missing, feared dead was talented young Labour leader Tore Eikeland, 21, male model Ismail Haji, 20, Iraqi refugee Jamil Rafal Yasin, 20, 14-year-old Johannes Buø and Tron Bernsten, 51, the step-brother of Norway Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

More than 150,000 people yesterday silently held roses in the air and walked the streets of Oslo in an evening vigil for the victims of Norway’s worst loss of life since World War II.

“Tonight the streets are filled with love,” Crown Prince Haakon told the vast crowd.

Behring Breivik, 32, had said he wanted to use his court appearance to explain his racist motives behind the Oslo bomb attack and Utoya island shooting rampage on Saturday – one of the world’s worst mass murders.

But a judge dramatically closed the court to all public and media to deny him the opportunity.

Officials feared he would gloat over the massacre but also compromise security by sending coded messages to right-wing extremists.

Behring Breivik was secretly whisked into court in a blacked-out motorcade through an underground entrance but bystanders struck at the windows screaming abuse.

The xenophobic fanatic was determined to tell his story so the public did not forget his race-hate mission to rid Europe of Muslims.

In an online manifesto compiled before the killing spree, Behring Breivik described how he would turn the court appearance into theatre.

“In a generation or two, people will thank me,” he wrote.

Last night he told the court that his bomb attack and island shooting rampage was aimed at saving Europe from a Muslim takeover, warning he was working with two other cells.

Despite earlier claims that he had acted as a lone gunman, Breivik said he worked in an organization with two more cells, the judge said. During a later briefing, a court spokesman refused elaborate on this claim.


Anders Behring Breivik leaves court
Bomb and terror suspect Anders Behring Breivik (red top) leaves the courthouse in a police car in Oslo on July 25, 2011, after the hearing to decide his further detention. Breivik will be held in solitary confinement for the first four weeks, with a ban on all communication with the outside world in a bid to aid a police investigation into his acts.AFP Photo Jon-Are Berg-Jacobsen / Aftenposten
Source: AFP

Judge Kim Heger made the decision to close court on a request from police.

“Based on information in the case the court finds that (the) detention hearing should be held behind closed doors,” he said. “It is clear that there is concrete information that a public hearing with the suspect present could quickly lead to an extraordinary and very difficult situation in terms of the investigation and security.”

Behring Breivik’s lawyer Geir Lippestad said his client had demanded “a circus”.

“He has two wishes: The first is the hearing is public and the second is that he may attend in uniform,” he said.

Mr Lippestad said his client had told police that the killings, Europe’s deadliest attacks since the 2004 Madrid bombings carried out by al-Qaeda, were “cruel” but “necessary”.


Outside the courthouse
Members of the public stand outside the court house as Anders Behring Breivik who confessed to Norway’s worst act of terror appears in a closed court on July 25 ,2011 in Oslo, Norway. (Photo by Paula Bronstein/Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images

Nevertheless, Mr Lippestad said Behring Breivik felt he had done “nothing reprehensible”.

Last night he appeared in court to confirm his identity and was remanded in custody until a trial begins.

Judge Heger ordered the 32 year old to be remanded in custody for eight weeks – the first four of which are to be in solitary confinement – following a closed-door hearing that took place under tight security.

Breivik confessed to carrying out the bombing in downtown Oslo and the shooting at nearby Utoya island. He was charged with acts of terrorism.

Breivik did not plead guilty, saying it was necessary to save Norway and Western Europe from a “Muslim takeover.”

One hour before his appearance last night, people across Norway united in grief in a five-minute national silence.


Families pay tribute
Members of the public lay flower opposite Utoya Island, following Friday’s twin extremist attacks on July 25, 2011 in Utoya, Norway. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images

The nation stopped, including the stockmarket, airports, trains and trams, to mark their deadliest day since World War II.

Thousands of people stood silently in the rain surrounding a sea of flowers and candles outside Oslo’s main university at a ceremony led by Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and King Harald V.



Mourners gather
Relatives gather to observe a minutes silence opposite Utoya Island, following Friday’s twin extremist attacks on July 25, 2011 in Utoya, Norway. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)
Source: Getty Images

Investigators said yesterday that Behring Breivik used fragmenting bullets which cause severe damage when entering a body, explaining why the death toll on Utoya was so high.

The massacre provoked calls for Norway’s lenient sentencing to be scrapped and the death penalty introduced.

Breivik has been charged with two counts of terrorism. Under Norwegian law, the maximum sentence for mass murder is 21 years, with some prisoners released after 12-14 years.

If he served 21 years it would be the equivalent of just 82 days per murder.

However, prosecutors are asking for an indefinite extended sentence, which would be reviewed every five years.

A British police officer is liaising with Norwegian police after Behring Breivik revealed in his online manifesto that he met with members of the UK’s far-right movement the English Defence League.


THE privileged background of the Norway massacre gunman was revealed yesterday by acquaintances who described him as a “mummy’s boy” who did not leave home until he was 30.

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, is a diplomat’s son who spent the first year of his life in London.

He had few friends and no serious girlfriends and his writings betray a deep bitterness at being abandoned by his father at the age of 15.

Breivik was born in February, 1979.

His father Jens was an economist who worked at the Norwegian Embassy in London.

His parents split when he was just a year old, and his father remained in London working while Anders and his mother Wenche Behring, a nurse, moved back to Oslo along with her daughter Elisabeth from a previous relationship.

They settled in a rented apartment where he stayed with his 64-year-old mother until just two years ago. His sister moved to California.

Jens stayed in London and married a fellow embassy worker, Tove Vermo. They fought for custody of Anders but failed, and moved to Paris. Anders regularly visited them there and at a holiday home in Normandy. They divorced when he was 12.

In his writing Breivik blames his father for their estrangement after he was caught spraying graffiti on walls in his early teens.

He writes: “I have not spoken to my father since he isolated himself when I was 15 he was not very happy about my graffiti phase from 13 to 16. I tried contacting him five years ago but he said he was not mentally prepared for a reunion.”

His father, who is in his 70s, said yesterday: “I view this atrocity with absolute horror. My condolences go out to all those who have suffered because of this. I am in a state of shock and have not recovered.”