Virgin Nigeria changes name to Nigerian Eagle Airline

0
554
Rebranded? Virgin Nigeria changed to Nigerian Eagles Airline
Rebranded? Virgin Nigeria changed to Nigerian Eagles Airline

The  five years technical agreement signed between Nigeria and Virgin Atlantic to help package Virgin Nigeria, on Thursday, ended with the Nigerian carrier coming up with a new name, Nigerian Eagle Airline.

The adoption of the new name, which was unveiled at a world press conference by the airline’s managing director, Captain Dapo Olumide and his management, also witnessed the adoption of a new livery for the airline.

The airline’s managing director, while making the announcement, took time off to explain what it took his management team to come up with the new idea.

The announcement of the new brand, coupled with the technical partnership the flag carrier entered into with Ethiopian Airlines last month, finally brought to an end the controversial romance it had with the British flag carrier as its core technical partner.

Captain Olumide said the management chose the new name based on the airline’s determination to make the airline true African airline. Despite the new brand, the airline chief, however, said “the status quo remains as it affects the airline shares with the former British airline core technical partner, Virgin Atlantic, still retaining its 49 per cent shares while the remaining 51 per cent still belongs to the Nigerian investors.

While saying Virgin Atlantic was free to whatever it wants to do with its shares in the airline, he however said the genuine agreement the airline under the former name with the federal government through the former technical partner remains.

Captain Olumide who tagged the adoption of the new name as ‘The Birth of an airline’said:”He who dares wins. We are trying to create a brand not just to change name, airlines around the world have their names and logo and it is reasonable to be African. From today, the name of Virgin Nigeria seizes as we now have Nigerian Eagle Airline. We are creating a brand that has never been done.

While recalling the challenges which the airline had gone through since inception which led to the recent repositioning under the present management, Captain Olumide however attributed the dropping of the airline’s former name and logo to the need for it to stand on its own.

It will be recalled that the adoption of the airline’s former name and composition of its shareholders generated serious criticisms on the excuse that it did not represent a true Nigerian carrier. As part of the airline’s rebranding policy, the managing director though added that the airline will still continue with the call sign it got at inception,but further stated that all their names, logos and designs across the nation’s airports will be changed gradually in line with the new brand.

The adoption of the new name, which was unveiled at a world press conference by the airline’s managing director, Captain Dapo Olumide and his management, also witnessed the adoption of a new livery for the airline. The airline’s managing director, while making the announcement, took time off to explain what it took his management team to come up with the new idea.

The announcement of the new brand, coupled with the technical partnership the flag carrier entered into with Ethiopian Airlines last month, finally brought to an end the controversial romance it had with the British flag carrier as its core technical partner. Captain Olumide said the management chose the new name based on the airline’s determination to make the airline true African airline.

Despite the new brand, the airline chief, however, said “the status quo remains as it affects the airline shares with the former British airline core technical partner, Virgin Atlantic, still retaining its 49 per cent shares while the remaining 51 per cent still belongs to the Nigerian investors.

While saying Virgin Atlantic was free to whatever it wants to do with its shares in the airline, he however said the genuine agreement the airline under the former name with the federal government through the former technical partner remains.

Captain Olumide who tagged the adoption of the new name as ‘The Birth of an airline’said:”He who dares wins. We are trying to create a brand not just to change name, airlines around the world have their names and logo and it is reasonable to be African. From today, the name of Virgin Nigeria seizes as we now have Nigerian Eagle Airline. We are creating a brand that has never been done.
While recalling the challenges which the airline had gone through since inception which led to the recent repositioning under the present management, Captain Olumide however attributed the dropping of the airline’s former name and logo to the need for it to stand on its own.
It will be recalled that the adoption of the airline’s former name and composition of its shareholders generated serious criticisms on the excuse that it did not represent a true Nigerian carrier. As part of the airline’s rebranding policy, the managing director though added that the airline will still continue with the call sign it got at inception,but further stated that all their names, logos and designs across the nation’s airports will be changed gradually in line with the new brand.
Source: Nigerian Tribune